It might so happen that when you casually glance at your face in the mirror one fine morning, you see tiny wrinkles and fine lines forming at the outer corner of your eyes. This is called crow’s feet and one of the main cause for this is ageing and excessive dryness around the eye area. But these are not the only two factors causing crows feet. Even at an young age you might develop crow's feet. When you are expressing yourself with the eyes by smiling, the corner of the eyes wrinkle up character lines and within a period of time they are etched permanently. Also, if most of the time you are out in the sun without protecting your eyes with suitable sunglasses, chances are that you will be squinting. This repeated action also eventually causes crow’s feet. And these lines become more prominent when you laugh or grimace. Other factors that contribute to the development of crows’ feet include menopause, solar radiation, and infrequent skincare measures.
Homemade Treatments for Crows' Feet
Before opting for any botox treatment or chemical products to treat crows feet, let us consider some essential home remedies for crows feet. If you have already developed crows feet, then try these natural treatment to reduce it.
- Vitamin E: Almost all skin care products available in the market has doses of vitamin E which is good for the skin. Vitamin E contains powerful antioxidant properties which are effective against fighting wrinkles. So it only makes sense that home remedies containing vitamin E might also be effective. Take flaxseed oil, and all you have to do is swallow it. The oil contains vitamin E, including vitamins B and C, which has a number of other positive health benefits to go along with reducing wrinkles. Another easy home remedy is just to poke a small hole in a vitamin E tablet and apply the contents directly to the affected area surrounding your eyes. You should use a full tablet on each eye.
- Egg white face masks: Clean your face first. Then apply an egg white to your entire face. After 15-20 minutes, when the egg white dries, wash your face with warm water and gently dry your face. This should help tighten your skin and therefore reduce the appearance of crow's feet
- Papaya mask: Remove the papaya pulp using a spoon and apply this on the entire face, including the eye wrinkles. You can also add a few drops of olive oil to it. After some time, wash your face and then dry your face.
- Oil massage: Massage coconut oil or any other moisturizing lotions (preferable enriched with vitamin E) on the wrinkles before going to sleep.
- Orange and Lemon Juice: Mix 1 tea spoon of lemon juice with 1 table spoon of orange extract. Now, apply the mixture around your eyes where fine lines have appeared. Do it for few minutes. Do it in on a regular basis and you will see the wrinkles disappear or lessen sooner than you expected.
- Blueberries: Mix well four tablespoons of blueberries and ½ cup of lemon juice in a blender. With a cotton ball, apply the remedy to the outside of your eyes. Leave it on for few minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Grapes: To reduce wrinkles around the eyes, take advantage of green grapes that contain the alpha hydroxyl acid (malic acid). Mix 20 grapes in a small food processor on high for one minute. Pour some of the juice on a cotton ball and apply to the face. Once it dries, rinse with warm water.
Preventing Crows Feet
- Follow a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits. Foods that are rich in antioxidants, like eggplant, asparagus, fish and olive oil can play a role in protecting the skin. Also eat foods rich in vitamin E like as Sunflower Seeds, Paprika and Red Chili Powder, Almonds, Pine Nuts, Peanuts, Dried Apricots, Corns etc.
- Protect your skin from the sun’s rays – use a sunscreen lotion and wear protective clothing when going out in direct sunlight.
- Drink good amount of water throughout the day.
- Relax and reduce stress
- Get more sleep
- Lose weight
- Stop smoking
- Ensure that your skin does not become dry – use moisturizers
- Apply olive oil to crows’ feet to ease the signs of aging.
- Petroleum Jelly: Some people rub petroleum jelly on their crows’ feet to soften the lines on their face.
- Use less foundation: If you avoid the use of heavy foundation or powder around your crows’ feet, you can minimize the appearance of lines on your face.
- Removing makeup before going to bed: Going to bed in your makeup encourages fine lines and crows’ feet to develop.