A earache is one of the most common problems faced by adults and children alike. This pain can vary from being mild and dull or constant or fleeting. There can also be a sharp and stabbing pain that comes and goes. One of the main causes of earaches is the accumulation of fluid, which in turn is due to an infection or even because of the build up of pressure in the middle ear of the individual. Sometimes bathing, cleaning ones ear with a cotton bud, allergies and even swimming may also lead to bacterial growth, discomfort and even an infection in ones ears, leading to ear pain. A earache should however be treated and should never be neglected as at times it could be an indication of a more threatening problem. Before opting for medicines prescribed by doctors, you can simply try some of these home remedies to get rid of ear ache.
Earache Natural Remedies
- Warm compress: The greatest ear pain reliever is warm, moist heat around the ear. Make a warm compress using a towel rung out in hot water. Press it against the ear. This brings relief to earache. Warm up an oven-safe plate, wrap it in a towel, and rest your aching ear right on it. The plate should be warm and not very hot. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel also makes a comforting pillow for an aching ear.
- Garlic/Ginger Juice: Extract some juice from fresh garlic or ginger and insert it directly into the ears using a dropper. Ginger/garlic has strong anti-inflammatory properties which are very helpful in fighting ear infections. Its analgesic properties will help to relieve the pain.
- Holy Basil leaves: Put two drops of holy basil leaves’ juice in the aching ear.This provides relief to ear ache.
- Olive oil: Warm olive oil is the most common home cure for ear aches. It should be dropped into the ear canal to relieve ear pain.
- Onion: A whole onion should be cooked till it is soft. Then wrap it in a piece of cloth and apply over the ear to provide relief from earache and dizziness.
- Peppermint leaves: Another good earache home treatment is juice freshly squeezed out from peppermint leaves. This juice can be inserted in the aching ear to provide pain relief.
- Oil drops: Oils like Bishop’s weed oil, sesame oil, mustard oil are effective for ear aches. But use warm oil to get immediate relief. Pouring a few drops of warm mustard oil into the ears is also known to help in treating an earache.
Many people face the problem of ear ache when there is a change of pressure like as in travelling by plane. In such a case, chew gum or suck on candy. The chewing or sucking will activate the muscles that send air to your inner ears, and you will feel better. If chewing doesn't work, start yawning. or else you close your mouth, relax your cheek muscles, hold your nose and blow one nostril at a time gently until you feel relief.
Earache Remedy for Swimmers
Ear ache is a common problem faced by swimmers. To prevent ear infections, Wear earplugs while swimming and avoid swimming in dirty waters. Before going for a swim, the swimmer should add some mineral oil in both ears.
Other Home Redies for Earache
- After you take a shower or bath, if you feel a pain in your ear, blow dry your ears instead of rubbing them. Soothe the ear with the warm setting of a hairdryer.
- If cold wind bothers your aching ears, wear a scarf when you're outside.
- You can also put cotton in the opening of the ear.
- Since an earache is a result of an ear infection, it is necessary to take Vitamin C to boost your immune system. It is a natural antibiotic and antihistamine and hence helps in reducing inflammation and fever.
- Include zinc in your diet because it reduces ear infection.
- Certain foods, more commonly dairy products like milk, butter, cheese etc tend to aggravate ear infections, so it is better to avoid them during an ear infection.
- Clean your ear professionally regularly.