Premature greying of hair is a common problem faced by many today. It is very important to nourish your hair with a balanced diet rich in vitamins, proteins, minerals with regular oil massage, conditioning and cleaning. Besides this, there are various hair dyes available in the makrket to get rid off greying of hair. But they are no short of side effects. Well, if you are the kind of person who has an aversion to chemical hair-colors and dyes, then try out this simple home-made remedies to cover your gray and prevent your hair greying.
|Premature Hair Greying|
Causes of Premature Greying of Hair
- While many says that the reasons for premature greying of hair are genetic and hereditary, others say that it is due to stress, malnutrition, lack of vitamins, including pollution.
- Washing of hair with hot water and drying them with electric dryers are the other causes of premature graying of hairs.
- Other reasons of premature graying of hairs include diseases like anemia, sinusitis, chronic cold, and chronic constipation.
There are several home remedies that can be used to prevent greying of hair.
- Hair Oil Massage: Massage your scalp with your finger tips regularly using coconut oil / olive oil / mustard oil. This ensure good blood circulation in the scalp. Massaging of the hair should be done 1-2 hours prior to the shampoo. Even if you do not apply hair oil on a daily basis, you can still massage the scalp with the fingers everyday.
- Curry Leaves: This is a tradition that is followed by women in South India and that is why we see the South Indian women having thick, long black hair. Curry leaves can either be consumed or they can be used as a hair tonic. Boil coconut oil with some curry leaves. Let the mixture cool, strain the oil, store it in bottle and massaged your scalp with the oil.
- Amla / Indian Gooseberry: The Indian gooseberry or amla can be used as a hair oil to maintain the hair's pigmentation as well as to promote hair health growth. Take an amla, dry it out and divide it into pieces. Boil the fruit pieces with coconut oil. Once the amla pieces have turned into the consistency of dust, let it cool. Apply that mixture into the scalp and keep it overnight. You can also mix the Indian gooseberry mixture with a teaspoon of almond oil and lemon juice. Regular application of Indian gooseberry paste on the scalp also reduces greying.
Natural Hair Color for Premature Greying
- Rosemary: Rosemary give dark colour a rich glossy shine.
- Chamomile: This works great on blonde hair.
- Rhubarb root: This brightens and lifts natural colour.
- For rich tones: Few drops of acetic acid added to henna one teaspoon of catechu added to the henna for a dark colour.
- For brown: Walnut juice mixed with henna. One teaspoon of eucalyptus oil added to henna for a darker brown.
- Henna: This is the most natural form of vegetable hair dye.
Henna for Premature Grey Hair
Let us now find out how we can use henna to color your premature grey hair:
- Henna powder as per your need
- Lemon juice
- Curds – 1-2 tbsp
- Coffee-powder- 1tsp (optional)
- Tea leaves – 1 tsp
- Amla (gooseberry) powder – 2 tsp
- Mustard oil – ½ tsp
- Cloves (optional)
Soak amla powder in half a cup of water overnight. Boil 1 tsp tea leaves in 2 tbsp water. Sieve it and allow it to cool. Now take henna powder, around 4-5 tbsp if you want to apply it only around the area which has gray hair and more if you want to apply to your entire scalp. Make a thin paste of henna powder by adding juice of lemon, a tbsp of curd, the water of tea leaves, a tsp of coffee powder (optional) and amla mixture which you prepared earlier. Add ½ tsp of mustard oil in this mixture to avoid dryness. Leave this mixture in an iron vessel overnight or for about 2 hours. If it is winter, you can also add a finely grounded paste of 2 cloves to elude cold. Apply the mixture on the hair carefully, cover gray hair completely. Leave this on for about 3-4 hours. Then rinse off with cold water.
After henna application
After your hair has dried, apply any hair oil. Wash your hair the next day with a mild shampoo. Your hair will show a natural shining red-brown color. Do this twice a month on a regular basis.
Natural Hair Conditioner
- A natural hair conditioner can also be prepared at home. Soaking 10 to 12 Indian gooseberry in a cup of water overnight. Pour some of this mixture in your hair after shampooing and leave it for a few minutes before rinsing it.
- You can also rinse your hair with a cup of strong black tea or even espresso. It can work wonders on your hair and leaving it looking black and shiny.
Other Home Remedies
- Diet: Diet plays a major part in the prevention of grey hairs. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables like banana, carrot, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, cauliflower, cereals, yogurts, seafood, etc. Curry leaves are good. Drink butter milk. You should also include red meat, chicken, fish, dried apricots, eggs, parsley, sunflower seed, seafood, almonds and cashew nuts in your diet. Drink 8-10 glasses of water everyday.
- Daily morning intake of few black raisins with same amount of black pepper with hot milk is also beneficial for treating grey hair.
- Homeopathic Arnica oil is proven beneficial for treating as well preventing early grey hair.