Fennel seeds, the Indian name of which is Saunf or Sauf, are believed from folklore to have various nutritional and health benefits that are good for the overall well being of health. Fennel symbolizes longevity, courage, and strength. In addition to its use as medicinal values, fennel has many health benefiting nutrients essential compounds, anti-oxidants, dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, minerals and vitamins which are helpful to the human body. The is one of the most sought after ingredient in many popular cuisines all over the Mediterranean regions. Fennel seeds are used as spice in cooking as it gives a sweet licorice taste to the food. Sweet, anise-flavored fennel seed along with mugwort, thyme, nettle, etc. has been considered as one of the nine Anglo-Saxon sacred herbs for its health benefits. All parts of the fennel, including bulb, leaves, stalk and seeds are used in herbal medicines. Fennel seeds have fragrant odor and are widely used around the world in mouth fresheners, antacids, toothpastes, desserts, and in culinary.
- Brain Related Diseases: Fennel seeds are very helpful for brain related diseases like as dementia, memory loss. According to the Indian researchers, fennel seeds have property to enhance cognitive performance.
- Fennel Seeds for Digestive Problems: The seeds are good source of phytoestrogens which help to treat stomach upsets, irritable bowel syndrome, colic, bloating, flatulence, indigestion and other stomach problems.
- Saunf or Fennel for Sight: When you take raw fennel seeds daily, it can keep one’s vision healthy. Also, they help to keep away from the glaucoma problem.
- Fennel for Women Problems: For those women, who are suffering from PMS symptoms, fennel seeds are best remedy as it treats menstrual-related pain (dysmenorrhoea). Fennel seeds also have galactagogue property which help in promoting production and secretion of milk in lactating mothers.
- Fennel as Blood Purifier: By consuming the raw fennel seeds or saunf daily in the morning as well as in evening, blood remains purified and your skin remains healthy. This is because, the seeds contain essential oil which acts as detoxifier and purifies blood. Moreover, the seeds also help to dispose off blood uric acid, urea and certain unnecessary hormones, which toxic the body.
- Respiratory Problem: Fennel seeds are a popular remedy for respiratory disorders like bronchitis, congestion, cough, etc. as they contain Anethol and Cineole which have expectorant properties.
Other Health Benefits of Saunf
- It is said that consumption of fennel seeds or saunf strengthens hair, prevent hair fall, relaxes body.
- It also helps in rheumatism and swelling.
- Chewing the seeds will freshen the breath
- Helps in treating flatulence in baby. If your breast-fed child has problems of indigestion or colic, then boil 2 tbsp fennel powder with 200gm water. Let the mixture cool. Give this water 2 to 3 times in a day to your child for treating the problem.
How do you eat Fennel Seeds?
- You can take feenel seeds or saunf in its raw form.
- You can roast the seeds, crush them and use as spice in dishes. This also release their fragrance.
- Fennel drink: For this, soak 1 - 2 tbsp of fennel seeds over night in a glass of water. Strain the seeds and you are left with pale greenish-yellow water. This is the fennel sharbat and can be taken with a bit of black-salt and sugar. This has a cooling effect in summer.
- Sugar Coated Fennel Seeds : Multicolored fennel seeds are easily available in the market and taken as refreshing mouth freshener. They can also be used as edible decoration in pastries and pies.
|Sugar Coated Multi Colored Fennel seeds|