Recent studies have shown that cinnamon has some very important health benefits and hence widely used as an alternative medicine for various ailments. New research suggests that for longer and better health, try a daily sprinkle of cinnamon.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
A great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium, cinnamon is an effective remedy for
- Reducing blood sugar levels
- Lowering cholesterol and triglycerides
- Helps in digestion.
- Curing the common cold.
- Treating diarrhea.
- Reducing arthritis pain.
- Boosting memory and cognitive function.
- Treating toothaches.
- Eliminating bad breath.
According to the Times, studies have shown that among 30 patients who took 1 to 6 grams of cinnamon extract for 40 days, average glucose levels fell to 18% from 29%, triglycerides to 25% from 30%, and total cholesterol to 12% from 26%. In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.
How to take Cinnamon?
For Coughs and the Common Cold: Add a cinnamon stick to boiling water and boil it for 2 minutes.Remove the stick and use the cinnamon water for any herbal tea or black tea. Drink this tea two times per day.
For Treating Cholesterol, Arthritis Pain, Diabetes
- Simply eat half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder daily.
- Sprinkle cinnamon into your coffee or tea.
- Add cinnamon powder to your cereal or oatmeal.
- Simply add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast (Not for Diabetic Patient, Avoid Honey.Anyone that is currently taking medication for controlling blood sugar levels or blood thinners should consult their doctor before using cinnamon as a regular supplement)
Make a paste using one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five teaspoons of honey. Apply a small amount of this paste directly onto the aching tooth 2 or 3 times daily. You can store any extra paste in a small container at room temperature.
A fine paste of this spice should be prepared by mixing it with water and it should be applied over the temples and forehead to get relief.
Honey taken with cinnamon powder also helps in curing stomach ache