Thyroid disease which is affecting many people in recent years is due to many causes like as insufficient production of thyroid hormone, inborn error of the thyroid gland, heredity, physical and emotional stress and wrong eating habits over a prolonged period along with suppressive medical treatment and wrong style of living. There are two types of thyroid disease:
Hypothyroidism, which is the result of an overactive thyroid gland that produces excess amounts of hormone and Hyperthyroidism which is the result of the withering of the thyroid gland. Studies have shown that women who are overworked and do not get sufficient rest are more prone to the thyroid disease.
|Thyroid Natural Remedies|
Symptoms of Thyroid Disease: Hypothyroidism
- Weight gain
- Susceptible to cold
- Stiffness in the joints
- Face Puffiness
- Dry thickened hair
- Slow pulse etc.
Symptoms of Thyroid disease: Hyperthyroidism
- Heavy sweating
- Weak and Nervous
- Enlarged and overactive heart
- Sensitive to heat
- Bulged eyes
- Rapid and irregular pulse rate
- Heart palpitation
- Slight tremor in the fingers
- Excessive quantity of urine pass
Home Remedies for Thyroid Disease
Though it has been said that thyroid is a disease which cannot be completely cured, yet there are many home remedies that can control thyroid and prevent it for further aggravation. Let us check the home remedies below:
Cleansing of the system
This is one of the essential remedy for thyroid. The cleansing process is actually a treatment process, extending for a period of 2-3 months. The steps are:
- For the first 5 days, go for a fresh fruit diet. To begin
with, juices of fruits such as apple, pineapple, orange, and grapes
may be taken every 2 or 3 hours from 8 am to 8 pm for five days.
- After the juice fast, the nest 3 days, the patient should go
for a fruits and milk diet. He should take 3 meals a day of juicy
fruits with a glass of milk, at five hourly intervals.
- After 8 days of this process, the patient should adopt a
well-balanced diet consisting of vegetables and fruits, seeds, nuts
and grains .
- During this treatment process, the patient should take complete rest. It is better if he takes bed rest for first 2 months of treatment.
- He can do physical exercises only after symptoms subside.
- It is seen that the appetite of the thyroid patient (hyperthyroidism) is very large and it is difficult for him to reduce weight. In such a case, it is suggested that a narrow waist-compress and later a neck compress should be worn for 5 nights a week. This helps absorption of food, balance is restored, constant hunger reduces and there is gradual decrease in weight.
What to avoid?
- Tea and coffee
- Fleshy and greasy foods
- White flour
- Avoid stress and physical exertion
- Always take fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily intake
- The bowels should be cleaned daily with lukewarm water.
- Iodine intake should be increased for proper bowels. Iodine
in organic form in foods should be taken such as cabbage, garlic,
asparagus, onion, oats, pineapple, tomatoes, whole rice, watercress
The thyroid disease cannot be cured immediately and not necessarily be completely cured. There is often a recurrence of symptoms but these should gradually become less pronounced. Strict adherence to proper diet is essential for complete cure of the disease.