It is always a matter of embarrassment for parents when their child keeps on scratching their heads due to persistent itching because of the presence of lice on his or her head. If a child has head lice, it has nothing to do with poor hygiene, disease or anything of the sort. Its just a phase of life for almost every child in his school days which will pass as he gets older and is able to learn to keep his head away from other kids. Though lice treatment is not an instant treatment, it is always better to opt for natural ways of getting rid of lice and nits instead of using harsh chemicals.
Ways To Kill Lice and Nits Naturally
Oiling, Heating and Combing Method
Some experts believe that combing and oiling does most of the work.
- Completely oil you hair and scalp with coconut or olive oil or almond oil. Use some good quantity of oil so that it coats your entire hair. Some prefer to use Vaseline and mayonnaise but they are unnecessarily messy, and can be difficult to wash out. However, the choice is entirely yours.
- Next, cover your hair with a shower cap. Keep it overnight or atleast for 12 hours.
- Use a blow drier to heat your hair with the shower cap on.
- Now separate the hair into small sections and comb your hair with a lice removal comb.
- Then, shampoo your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Follow the first 3 steps as mentioned above.
- Shampoo the hair without wetting it first.
- Cover your head again with shower cap. Let the shampoo stay on the hair for half-an-hour.
- Rinse your hair with water now. Your scalp still feels somewhat oily, but don't worry.
- Comb out your hair. More oil will be removed during the sectioning and combing process.
- You will also notice the lice falling down.
Repeat this process on a regular basis, for a week. Then, for the next two weeks, comb through your child’s hair every night to make sure the lice are gone.
Essential Oil Treatment
The various essential oils available in the market can also get rid of lice:
- tea tree oil
- lavender oil
- aniseed oil
- cinnamon leaf oil
- red thyme oil
- neem oil
- clove oil
- eucalyptus oil
- peppermint oil
- nutmeg oil
You can add 15-20 drops of any of the essential oils with olive or coconut oil. Apply to the scalp and follow the same procedure as above. Once the hair is shampooed and rinsed, you can spray some essential oils on the hair as a preventive treatment.
Image Source: closetchat.kidscloset.biz